East Boston, MA. - Lesley University softball suffered defeat in doubleheader against Suffolk University on Tuesday evening at East Boston Memorial Park. In game one, Lesley fell after a walk off single, 7-6. Meanwhile in game two, the Lynx would lose in dramatic fashion in the bottom of the seventh, 8-7. The Lynx move to 12-8 overall, meanwhile the Rams post a 9-9 record on the season.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Suffolk started the game on the front foot scoring four runs in the second inning, to hold an early 4-0 lead. Lesley would then take two runs back in the fifth inning. Singles from Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) and Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT.) put runners on second and third with two outs.
- Jordan Raab (Rochester, N.H.) stepped to the plate and doubled down the left field line to score Lesley's first two runs to halve the deficit, 4-2. Suffolk would post another run in the fifth to hold a 5-2 lead.
- Lesley would then take the lead on the sixth inning. First, the Lynx benefited from a Rams error as Kristen DiCicco (Wantagh, N.Y.) advanced home after a Lindsey Jensen (Milton, MA.) fielder's choice. After a Medina walk, the game changing moment came to Pickett, as the sophomore launched her fifth homerun of the season to give the Lynx its first lead of the day, 6-5.
- However, the Rams would leave it late as they scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh to take the victory from the Lynx, 7-6.
- Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) went 6.0 innings allowing seven runs (two earned) with nine strikeouts from the circle.
- Lesley finished the day with seven hits as a team, Pickett and Raab led the way with three and two RBI's respectively.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Rams quickly posted four runs through the first two innings to hold an early 4-0 lead.
- Lesley would burst for four runs of its own in the third inning. After Sam Jensen (Milton. MA.) reached on a walk then stole second, Medina doubled to bring in the first Lesley run. Pickett followed with a single of her own which brought Day to the plate. Day brought everyone home with a three-run homer to left-center to knot things up 4-4.
- Suffolk followed up the Lynx three runs with two runs of its own in the third and fourth to regain the lead, 6-4.
- Lesley would not quit as Raab homered in the sixth inning with Day on first to tie the game. Then, Juliana Cecere (Revere, MA.) blasted her first home run of the year to give the Lynx its first lead of the game, 7-6.
- Although, the Rams would score two runs in the bottom of the seventh to steal the victory from the Lynx in dramatic fashion, 8-7.
- Jen Thorburn (Groton, MA) and Kara Haga (Levittown, N.Y.) both pitched 3.1 innings with Haga taking the loss.
- Lesley posted 10 hits on the evening, with Day leading the pack with three hits. Three different Lynx had a homerun (Day, Raab, and Cecere).
- Day's single in the sixth inning marked her 100th career hit for the Lynx, achieving the feat in just 188 at bats (55 games).
Lesley (12-8) host Eastern Nazarene College on Friday, April 5, for a New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) doubleheader. First pitch is set for 5:00PM at St. Mary's Field (Revere, MA).