New London, CT. - Lesley University softball turned in two wins during doubleheader against Mitchell College on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Field on the campus of Mitchell. In game one, Lesley posted a 5-0 win, while in game two the Lynx held on to a 7-5 victory to complete the series sweep. The Lynx improve to 15-9 overall, while it moves to 4-2 in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) action. The Mariners move to 7-10 record on the season, 0-4 in conference play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley would score the first run in the third inning. After Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) doubled to left field, Jordan Day (Seminole, FL) reached on a mistake from the Mariners which forced Medina home.
- The Lynx would post three more runs in the fifth, to take a 4-0 lead. With two outs, Day singled up the middle to bring home Sam Jensen (Milton, MA.) and push Medina to third. Ashleigh Acker (Apopka, FL.) followed, reaching on an error, plating Day and Medina.
- Lesley would grab an insurance run in the top of the seventh, courtesy of a sacrifice fly from Medina bringing Lindsey Jensen (Milton, MA.) to the plate, to win 5-0.
- Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) pitched a seven inning shutout allowing just four hits and fanning 11 batters.
- Medina and Day together posted four of the Lynx five hits, two each. Day posted her 250th career strikeout in the second inning.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley would strike first in the third inning with four runs. With two outs, back to back doubles from Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT.) and Day brought in the first run, with Day grabbing the RBI. Then, with the bases loaded, Ilana Zack (Randolph, MA.) singled to score two more runs. Stephanie Schofield (Woodside, CA.) followed with a single to bring home another run for a 4-0 lead.
- Mitchell would respond with three runs of their own in the third, to close the gap at just one run.
- Although, Lesley would pile on more runs in the sixth. After L. Jensen doubled and advanced to third, Pickett singled to bring her home.
- Later in the inning, with runners on second and third, Antonia Kieran (Wilmington, MA.) put a ball in play which brought home two more runs for the Lynx. Lesley would hold a 7-3 lead after six full innings.
- Mitchell would come close in the bottom of the seventh scoring two runs and put the tying run on second base. Day would come on to the mound and close things up, retiring the two batters she faced to record the first save of the season for the Lynx.
- Kara Haga (Levittown, N.Y.) gets the win with 3.1 of work allowing just two runs while picking up four strikeouts.
- Lesley posted 13 hits as a group, Pickett and Day picking up three hits each.
Lesley (15-9, 4-2) travel to UMass Boston for DH on Thursday, April 11, with games set to begin at 3:30 and 5:30 PM. Mitchell College (7-10, 0-4) travel Elms College on Sunday, April 7, for a pair of conference games.