Boston, MA. - Lesley University softball came away with a split on its travels to UMass-Boston on Thursday afternoon at UMB field. In game one, Lesley came from behind to win 5-4. Meanwhile in game two the Beacons used a six run inning to win 6-4 in six innings, due to darkness. The Lynx improve to 16-10 overall, meanwhile the Beacons post a 15-12 record on the season.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Beacons jumped on the board first with two runs in the third inning. Lesley would respond in the fifth inning. Kristen DiCicco (Wantagh, N.Y.) roped her first home run of the season to right field to bring the Lynx within one run. DiCicco's solo homer was the first of her collegiate career.
- Lesley would come out swinging in the sixth inning. Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA) would start the inning with a single, followed by a Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT.) walk and Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) single to load the bases with no outs. Ashleigh Acker (Apopka, FL.) then brought Medina home with a sacrifice fly, to tie the game a 2-2.
- The game turned when Ally Murphy (Raynham, MA.) came to the plate later in the inning with two outs and two runners on. Murphy launched her second homer of the season to give the Lynx a late 5-2 lead over the Beacons.
- The Beacons would make things close with two runs in the bottom of the seventh and bring the winning run to the plate with the tying run on first and no outs.
- Pickett then turned a double play as a short pop up was caught and Pickett threw the runner out at first. Day would finish her complete game with a strikeout as Lesley walked away with a 5-4 victory.
- Day finished with four strikeouts, and just two earned runs from the circle.
- The Lynx posted seven hits with Medina leading the way with two.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- UMass-Boston would score six runs in the second inning to set the tone for the remainder of the game. However, Lesley would respond with a run in the third inning. After a Medina single, Pickett and Day both hit sacrifice flies to bring Medina home, Day picked up the RBI.
- In the fifth, the Lynx would be next to score as Day doubled to right field to score Medina and Pickett. The next batter, Acker singled up the middle to plate Day and bring the score to 6-4.
- The Beacons would hold on as they the game was called due to darkness after the top of the sixth inning, 6-4.
- Lesley out hit the Beacons eight to seven in game two, with Pickett and Day having two hits each.
Lesley (16-10) travel to New England College on Saturday, April 13, for a New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) doubleheader. First pitch is set for 12:00PM.