Longmeadow, MA. - Lesley University softball claimed two wins during doubleheader with Bay Path College on Wednesday afternoon at Ryan Field. In game one, the Lynx came away with a 7-3 win. While in game two, Lesley posted a 9-0 shutout after five innings. The Lynx improve to 21-13 overall, meanwhile it moves to 9-5 in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) action. The Wildcats move to 9-19 record on the season, 0-12 in conference play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley jumped out to an early lead with five runs in the first two innings. In the first inning, the Lynx put together six singles in the frame to score three runs, five of those singles were from the top five in the lineup. Ashleigh Acker (Apopka, FL.), Jordan Raab (Rochester, N.H.), and Kristen DiCicco (Wantagh, N.Y.) all picked up an RBI during the spree.
- The runs continued in the second inning as Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) and Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT.) singled to set up a Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) sacrifice fly, to score Medina. Pickett followed soon after, scoring on a wild pitch. The Lynx had a comfortable 5-0 after the first two innings.
- Lesley grabbed another run in the fourth as Day tripled to bring Pickett around from first. The Wildcats would respond with two runs of their own in the bottom of the inning to make the score 6-2.
- However, the Lynx would plate another run in the sixth inning to take a 7-2 lead. It would be Acker to come through with a single to left field to score Pickett from second.
- Bay Path would snatch another run in the sixth, but could not score any more as the Lynx picked up a 7-3 win.
- Day collected the win in complete game performance allowing three runs (one earned) on just five hits. Day also recorded nine strikeouts and took a no-hitter into the fifth inning, before surrendering a single.
- The Lynx as a group collected 16 hits (tied for season high), from seven different student-athletes. Pickett led the charge with four hits from four at bats, while Day and Ally Murphy (Raynham, MA.) had three hits of their own.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley would pile on seven runs within the first three innings to command the rest of game. A Day double, which scored two, and an RBI single from Acker put the Lynx ahead 3-0 after just four batters.
- In the second inning, Day and Acker struck again with RBI hits to bring in two more runs. Day singled home Medina, while Acker doubled to plate Day.
- The top of the lineup continued hitting into the third inning. Medina had an RBI single to score one run, then Pickett doubled to bring Medina around from first.
- Lesley would expand its lead in the top of the fifth inning. Pickett singled to score Stephanie Schofield (Woodside, CA.), followed up with a sacrifice ground out from Day to score Medina. Lesley held Bay Path scoreless to take 9-0 win after five innings.
- Jen Thorburn (Groton, MA.) pitched a complete game just allowing two hits, while also registering five strikeouts and allowing a walk.
- Lesley posted 16 hits as a team, with Medina, Pickett, and Acker all contributing three hits. Day paced the Lynx with four RBI's, while Pickett and Acker added two of their own.
Lesley (21-13, 9-5) end NECC regular season with road doubleheader against Dean College on Saturday, April 27, with games set to begin at 2:00 and 4:00 PM. Bay Path College (9-19, 0-12) also are on the road Saturday, as they square off with Mitchell College in DH on Saturday, with first pitch at 11:00AM.