Boston, MA. - Lesley University softball picked up a win against Newbury College, 9-2, on Friday evening at Carr Softball Diamond. With the win, Lesley advance to loser bracket championship of New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) tournament. The Lynx move to 25-14 overall, while the Nighthawks conclude season with a record of 13-26.
- Lesley would strike first in the first inning. Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) lead off with a walk, which allowed Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) to single down the right field line to score the game's first run. Ashleigh Acker (Apopka, FL.) followed with an RBI double, bringing Day home from first.
- Later in the inning with runners on first and second, Kristen DiCicco (Wantagh, N.Y.) drove home a third run in the top of the first courtesy of a double to left field, this put the Lynx ahead 3-0 after the first frame. Newbury would respond in the bottom of the inning with one run after a bases loaded walk.
- In the second inning, the Lynx piled on three more runs. With Medina on first, Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT.) doubled to right field to score the fourth run of the game for Lesley. The next batter, Day singled up the middle to score Pickett. Day then took advantage of a slip by the center fielder and come all the way around to score. This put the Lynx advantage to 6-1, after two full innings.
- Newbury would continue to fight in the third inning, as the Nighthawks tacked on two runs to cut into the Lynx lead, 6-3 Lesley. The Lynx would respond in the next half inning with another run. Pickett grounded out to third base, which brought Medina home from third.
- Lesley added a handful of insurance runs in the top of the seventh. Juliana Cecere (Revere, MA.) crossed the plate on a fielder's choice, while Medina singled to center to score DiCicco. The Lynx would hold on to take a 9-2 win over Newbury.
- Kara Haga (Levittown, N.Y.) picked up the win in relief, hurling 4.1 innings with five strikeouts and no runs allowed. Jen Thorburn (Groton, MA.) started the contest, finishing with five strikeouts in 2.1 innings and three runs allowed (one earned).
- The Lynx posted 10 hits during the contest with Day leading the way with three, followed by Acker and Pickett with two each. Pickett, Day, and DiCicco led the Lynx with two RBI's each on the evening.
Lesley (25-14) will play Eastern Nazarene College on Saturday, May 4, for chance to play in NECC Tournament Final against New England College. First pitch is set to begin at 3:00PM.