REVERE, MA. – The Lesley Lynx softball team split a doubleheader with the Becker Hawks, with the Hawks winning the first game 11-10 in extra innings and the Lynx taking the second game 7-3. The Lynx now sit at 3-1 on the season, while Becker is at 6-8.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- Becker got out early in the first game, scoring five runs over the first four innings before the Lynx were able to get on the board. Holly Letourneau got her big day started by driving in a run on a sac fly in the top of the first, and scored on a double by Jillana Stevens in the third inning.
- The Lynx did all their damage in one inning with a massive ten-run innings to knock Hawks starter Ashley Veillette out of the game in the bottom of the fourth. Antonia Kieran contributed heavily, with the first and second home runs of her career coming in the same inning, both two-run bombs. Ilana Zack set the table for Kieran both times by driving in Riley Pickett on a double and a single. Mahlia Medina, Pickett, and Lindsey Jensen all each had RBI hits in the big inning as well.
- The Hawks refused to go quietly, tying the game with five runs over the final two regular innings. Sheree Fallon held the Lynx bats quiet while Letourneau added a three-run homer to her big day. Becker was then able to push across their runner on second in the top of the eighth inning while Lesley was unable to answer.
- Defense was a top spot for the Lynx in game 1. They made five errors and only seven of Kara Haga's eleven runs allowed were earned. She took the loss while Fallon picked up the win for Becker.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- Lesley decided not to wait around in game 2, adding three runs in the first two innings. Pickett doubled in Jordan Day, who was impressive on the mound in this one, and then scored on a triple by Zack. Medina got in on the action with a triple of her own to drive in Sam Jensen.
- Letourneau made the Lynx pay for an error on what would have been an inning ending ground-out by launching her second three-run homer of the doubleheader. Becker wasn't able to add any more beyond this, though, and the Lynx weren't done.
- Zack's bat stayed hot into the bottom of the third when she once again drove Pickett home, this time on an inside-the-park home run on a missed diving catch in right field. Zack finished the two games a combined 6-for-8 with five runs batted in on three singles, a double, a triple, and the inside-the-parker.
- Kieran was equally as impressive at the plate on the day, going a combined 4-for-7 with the two home runs and she also scored four runs.
- Day went the distance on the mound, striking out five and allowing only the three unearned runs to pick up the win. Lindsay Mitchell was the losing pitcher for Becker, allowing six earned runs over six innings.
The Lynx and Hawks are back at it tomorrow, Sunday April 11th for a doubleheader in Leicester at 12 and 2 PM.