QUINCY, MA. – The Lesley Lynx softball team advanced to the final day of the NECC Softball Tournament with a loss and a win on Saturday afternoon. The Lynx were defeated in the winners' bracket 4-0 by Eastern Nazarene, but were able to eliminate Becker in the second game of the day by a score of 2-0 to advance to the championship against ENC.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- The Lions scored twice in the bottom of the first inning to go ahead right away. Darcy Castro drove in a run with a base hit and was followed by an RBI sac fly by Jenelle Munoz. ENC added two more in the fourth and fifth innings, courtesy of an Alex Schwenger single and Taylor Brandt home run.
- Lesley was unable to take advantage of runners in scoring position in this one, as Munoz was able to get out jams with no damage. She allowed five hits and a walk, but the Lynx were not able to push across any runs. They had the bases loaded in the top of the sixth, but Munoz was able to get a fly ball to end things.
- Jordan Day took the loss for the Lynx despite limiting a tough Lions lineup to only four runs. Munoz picked up her third win against Lesley this season. Kristen DiCicco was 2-for-3 for the Lynx, while Castro and Aurora Adams each had two hits for ENC.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- The second game of the day was a pitchers duel, but Lynx starter Kara Haga came out on top with a shutout performance.
- Day got the scoring started with a solo homer in the bottom of the third. This was Day's third homer of the tournament and ninth run batted in.
- Day's run would be the only score for most of the game, but the Lynx were able to add some late insurance to seal the deal. DiCicco added to her solid day with a double to right center and freshman Samantha Mecklenburg was brought in to pinch run. After moving to third on a ground out by Allison Napoleon, Mecklenburg rushed home on a wild pitch and scored on a headfirst dive to just beat the tag.
- Haga picked up the win, striking out five and allowing only four hits and walk against the Hawks. Ashley Veillette took the loss for Becker, but pitched well against a strong Lynx lineup.
The Lynx face off once more against the top seeded Eastern Nazarene Lions tomorrow, Sunday May 9, at 2 PM. If the Lynx win this game, both teams will play again immediately after.