NASHUA, NH. – The Lesley Lynx Softball team earned their first two wins of the season on Thursday night, taking both games of a doubleheader against Rivier University. They won the first game 10-5 and the second game 12-1. The wins were the first two in the career of new head coach Kelsey Smith. The Lynx advance to 2-4 overall this season, while the Raiders fall to 3-12.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- The Lesley bats finally broke out after a quiet showing over their first four games. They picked up seven runs in the second inning to practically put the game away early. Starting pitcher Samantha Mecklenburg got the scoring started, driving in her first collegiate RBI on her first collegiate hit. With the bases loaded, Mahlia Medina reached on an error by the centerfielder to score two runs and both Mecklenburg and Medina then came into score on a hit by Jordan Day. Ilana Zack and Antonia Kieran also picked up RBI in the big inning.
- The Raiders scored four runs before the Lynx scored again, but Day was able to contribute some insurance runs with a two-run home run in the top of the sixth inning. It was her first home run of the season and RBI number three and four on the day. She added a fifth in the top of the seventh with a single to score Medina.
- In addition to her first hit and RBI, Mecklenburg earned her first collegiate win in this one. She allowed five runs to the Raiders over a complete game with six strikeouts. Sydney Greeno took the loss, allowing six earned runs.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- Lesley took slightly longer to get the bats going in the second game, but they got all they would end up needing in the second and third innings. Holly Swinamer picked up her first collegiate RBI by driving in Kieran with a groundout. Kieran would then drive in two runs in the third by reaching on an error by Raiders second baseman Amanda Atkinson.
- Day was again the provider of insurance runs with a two-run double in the top of the sixth inning that brought Mecklenburg and Tara Eldredge home.
- The Raiders picked up one run in the bottom of the sixth, but the Lynx decided to put them away for good in the top of the seventh with their second seven run inning of the day. Medina started the huge inning with a bases loaded single to score Swinamer, which was followed by a bases loaded walk by Eldredge to send Lindsay Jensen home. Day then put an exclamation mark on her huge day with a grand slam to make it 12-1.
- Day was just as impressive on the mound as she was at the plate, allowing only the one run on three hits while striking out ten. It was her first win of the season on the mound and she finished the day at the plate 5-for-8 with two home runs, eleven runs driven in, and four runs scored.
The Lynx host NVU-Johnson for their first home doubleheader of the season on Saturday April 2nd, with the first pitch of game one at 12 PM.