REVERE, MA. – The Lesley Lynx Softball team defeated the top-seeded Eastern Nazarene College Lions 4-3 on Saturday morning to advance to the NECC Softball Championship game.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynx got on the board first in the top of the third inning, thanks to an RBI double by Mahlia Medina. Holly Swinamer led of the inning with the first hit of the game for either side, a single up the middle, and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Lindsey Jensen and a groundout by Tara Eldredge. Medina's two-out double drove Swinamer home and put the Lynx up 1-0.
- Eastern Nazarene tied the game in the bottom of the inning. Alex Schwenger doubled to lead the inning off and stole third, setting her up to score on a sacrifice fly by Bailey Olaveson.
- Lindsey Jensen broke the tie and put the Lynx ahead in the top of the fifth inning with her second solo home run in as many days and her fourth of the season to lead off the inning. Eldredge followed her with a single and moved to third on two fielder's choices. Jordan Day stole second with Eldredge on third and a throwing error by Lions catcher Darcy Castro allowed Eldredge to score.
- Taylor Brandt and Bailey Olaveson did the most ENC damage of the day in the bottom of the fifth inning with back-to-back home runs off of Day to tie the game 3-3. The homers would end up being the only Lions hits in the game apart from Schewnger's third inning double.
- Jensen again proved critical in the seventh inning, drawing a lead-off walk off of NECC Co-Pitcher of the Year Jennelle Munoz. Jensen advanced to third on two wild pitches and Megan Murphy drew another walk with two outs to bring Day to the plate. She sent a single into right field to bring the go-ahead run home and closed out the Lions on the mound in the bottom of the inning to win it for the Lynx.
- Day allowed only three hits in her complete game win. She struck out six but did walk five batters, but was able to escape every jam unscathed. Munoz took the loss, allowing four runs on seven hits and only recording one strikeout.
The Lynx face the winner of New England College and Eastern Nazarene tomorrow at 11 AM with the NECC Championship on the line.