The Lesley University Women's Basketball team opened up the 2018 slate in a non-conference battle against Lasell College. The Lasers had an eight point lead heading into the half and continued to keep a six to ten point spread for much of the third quarter. Lesley took the first lead of the night with two minutes left in the third, and the two teams exchanged the lead the entire fourth quarter. Lasell prevailed after hard fought efforts en route to a 69-62 victory.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Senior Morgan Church set a new Lasell single-game record for points with 36 points, along with three assists, four rebounds, and three steals. Church's milestone performance bypasses the previous record of 35 points in a single game set by Tricia Culver in 2009 and tied by Katie Stopera in 2015.
- Lasell claimed the lead for most of the game lead by Church, scoring 19 points in the first half.
- Lesley took their first lead of the game with 2:25 remaining in dominant third quarter off a Karyn McEvoy (Quincy, Mass.) three-pointer, giving the Lynx a 43-40 lead. The Lynx took control of the quarter taking a 19-8 run into final quarter of the game.
- The third quarter surge was lead by Junior Abby Henderson (Rochester N.H.) with 7 points, freshman Karen McEvoy with 6 points, and sophomore Dakota Jones with 7 rebounds.
- The fourth quarter would see five lead changes between the Lasers and Lynx beginning at 4:20 left on the clock off a Jamie Caron (Derry, N.H.) lay up for the Lasers to take the lead.
- Lesley out rebounded the Lasers 47-42 led by a 15 rebound performance from sophomore Dakota Jones (Torrance, Calif.)
Head coach Jake Mattleman was very pleased with how his team opened the season. "We had great energy and effort from our team tonight. We ran the floor well and had our opportunities, especially during our third quarter 19-8 run," Mattleman explained. "While we didn't get the result we were looking for we got solid contributions from a lot of our players tonight and feel very positive about the direction of the team moving forward."
Theresa Pereira- 13pts., 6 rebounds, 3 assists
Abby Henderson- 13pts.
Dakota Jones- 15 rebounds, 8pts.
Morgan Church- 36pts., 8/12 free throws
Jamie Caron- 12pts., 5 rebounds
Dana Ross- 13 rebounds, 7pts.,
The Lynx next take the court on Saturday, November 18th at Thomas College at 5:30p.m. as part of the Thomas Tip-Off Classic. Lasell returns to action on Tuesday, November 21st as they host Framingham State at 6:00p.m.