Cambridge, Mass- Despite a strong start for the Lesley women's basketball squad leading 26-20 at the half, the Mountaineers of Southern Vermont came out strong with an 18 point third quarter and the eventual 53-41 vicotry over the Lynx. Lesley lead the way the first twenty minutes behind the charge of junior McKenna Straube and sophomore Cassidy Wygonik. Dani Biggers sparked the Mountaineers in the second half helping her team claim their first victory in the NECC. With the win, Southern Vermont improves to 2-7 (1-1 NECC), while Lesley drops to 0-8.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Both teams exchanged buckets the first ten minutes of play. With thirty seconds left on the clock Straube was sent to the free throw line where she sank both shots to send Lesley into the first break with a 10-9 lead.
- Lesley went on a quick 7-0 run early in the second quarter off back to back jump shots from Wygonik to extend it's lead 18-11 with 6:17 left on the clock.
- Wygonik and Straube controlled the tempo for the Lynx scoring 18 of the team's 26 points in the first half.
- Brianna Hudson closed the scoring for the Mountaineers netting 5 points in a minute to end the half trailing Lesley 26-20.
- An 18-4 third quarter run in favor of Southern Vermont swung momentum over to the Mountaineers for the remainder of the game. Biggers notched 11 points and 7 rebounds in the final twenty minutes, while Taylor Mallett chipped in 8 points and dealt 3 assists.
- Wygonik recorded a double-double for the Lynx with 14 points and 12 rebounds, while Biggers had one of her own with 14 points and 11 rebounds.
- Lesley dominated the second chance points 18-2, and points from the bench 14-0.
Cassidy Wygonik- 14 points, 12 rebounds
McKenna Straube- 10 points, 2 rebounds
Karyn McEvoy- 10 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
Danni Biggers- 14 points, 11 rebounds
Taylor Mallett- 14 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists
Brenna Hudson- 13 points
Lesley next travels to Eastern Nazarene College Thursday December 7th with a 5:30pm tip off.