Cambridge, Mass- Lesley University Women's basketball team fought hard in the first half only trailing Mitchell College by two, 31-29. A dominant third quarter for the Mariners set the tone for the second half to earn the victory 71-56 over the Lynx. With the loss Lesley slips to 2-13 overall and 2-5 in NECC Conference play. Mitchell improves to 8-9 overall and 7-2 in conference.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The first ten minutes of play saw both teams exchange the lead and stay within four points of each other. Sophomore Linda Wallentine sunk a big 3-pointer with under a minute in the first quarter to give the Lynx a 14-12 lead after the first.
- Senior Theresa Pereira kicked off the scoring for Lesley at the start of the second quarter hitting the long shot for a 17-14 advantage.
- In the next possession for the Mariners, Ashleigh Beauford responded with a shot beyond the arc to even the score with 7:15 left to go.
- With one second left in the first half, Jordan Lohneiss hit two free throw shots after a Lesley foul, and give Mitchell the 31-29 lead at the break.
- A 12-0 run in the third gave Mitchell a 10 point spread heading into the final ten minutes of play. The Lynx got within seven points early in the fourth off back to back lay ups from Pereira, but Jones came right back with a 3-pointer to extend Mitchell's lead 52-43 and cruise to the victory.
- Pereira led the Lynx with 22 points and 7 rebounds. Dakota Jones hammered down low working for 12 points in the paint and grabbing 15 rebounds.
- Beauford charged the Mariners with 18 points, while Dejia Santana was close behind with 17 points. Santana defended the hoop well with 5 blocked shots.
- The Mariners excelled in transition, scoring 26 points off Lynx turnovers.
- The Lesley bench chipped in 24 total points to the Mariner's 7 points from the reserves.
Theresa Pereira- 22 points, 7 rebounds
Dakota Jones- 12 points, 15 rebounds
Ashleigh Beauford- 18 points, 4 rebounds
Dejia Santana- 17 points, 8 rebounds
Lesley next travels to Southern Vermont College on Wednesday January 24 for another NECC match.