Cambridge, Mass- The Lesley University Women's Basketball team made a fruitful three-and-a-half-hour trip out of state Wednesday evening as they beat Southern Vermont College 66-49 in an NECC contest. The Lynx were eager to snap a four-game set back and took a 12 point lead into the half, 38-24. The victory gives the Lynx their third NECC win and improve to 3-5, and 3-13 overall. The Mountaineers currently stand at 3-16 for the season and 2-8 in NECC play.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- A lay-up from Dakota Jones put the Lynx into the lead for the first time, 4-3 with 5:07 left to play in the opening quarter. Junior forward Abby Henderson hit a back-to-back baskets to extend the Lynx advantage to 10-5 with 2:08 remaining.
- Mountaineers' Brenna Hudson converted two free throws and made a steal to claw her side back to just 10-9. Four unanswered points from Jones put the Lynx up five at the end of the first ten.
- Lesley cruised to a 31-13 lead following an 11-point run. The highlight of the hot streak was a three-point jump shot from New Jersey native Linda Wallentine.
- The Mountaineers regrouped to narrow the deficit to 38-24 by half-time with Dani Biggers adding five points to her total.
- Lesley's highest winning margin in the entire game was 24 points after the Mountaineers shot into their own basket which left the home team trailing 53-29 with two minutes to go in the third.
- The Mountaineers were the better team in the final quarter, edging out the Lynx by 14-12 in the space of 10 minutes, but a dominant first half was enough to earn Lesley the victory.
- Lesley's conversion rate from free throws was 88.9% for the entire game compared to Southern Vermont College's 50%.
- The Lynx also reaped dividends from turnovers with 24 points while the Mountaineers only managed 10 points when on the counter-attack.
- Jones recorded yet another double-double with 16 points and 15 rebounds. Post player counterpart, Elizabeth Portante chipped in 16 points of her own.
Dakota Jones 16 points, 15 rebounds, 3 steals
Elizabeth Portante 16 points, 5 rebounds, 3 steals
Maddy Main 13 points, 17 rebounds, 6 assists
Dani Biggers 13 points, 7 rebounds, 1 steal
THE INSIDE SCOOP:
"This was a big win for this program and shows how our team never quits," said head coach Jake Mattleman. "We will briefly enjoy this victory knowing bigger tests are on their way," he concluded. Sophomore captain Dakota Jones said " it shows the potential our team has for the rest of the season. We played as one unit creating many good looks, and I'm proud of how the hard work we've been putting in showed up on the court tonight," said Jones.
Lesley next travels to Becker College on Saturday, January 27 at 1pm.