Cambridge, Mass-- The Lesley University Women's basketball team fell to local NAIA contender Fisher College, 66-36 Thursday evening at Nicholas Athletic Center. Fisher gained the advantage early on an 8-0 run to open the game and cruised to half time with an commanding 15-point advantage and never looked back. With the loss, Lesley slips to 3-16 overall while Fisher improves to 14-8.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- The Falcons attacked right off the tip off scoring in the opening possession of the game. They continued the offensive charge early with an 8-0 run behind two 3-pointers from Murphy Carroll.
- Lesley recovered from the deficit with jump shots from Linda Wallentine and Dakota Jones, and free throw conversions from Jones and Abby Henderson.
- Jones added a layup with just 1:38 remaining in the opening quarter to cut the visitors winning margin to five, 15-10.
- The Falcons took a 7 point advantage into the second quarter and doubled their lead after a 13-2 run with 2:33 left in the first half.
- Karyn McEvoy drove to the hoop and hit two free throws to break the scoring feat for the Lynx half way through the second quarter. With just under a minute to play McEvoy sunk a shot from down town to bring the score to 32-17 at the half.
- Jones led the Lynx in the first half with 8 points and 5 rebounds. McEvoy had a late spark for Lesley scoring her 5 points in the final five minutes of the first half.
- Wallentine kicked off the scoring for Lesley sinking a shot from just outside the arc, to make it 37-20 in favor of the Falcons.
- Fisher pounded the boards in the third working for 8 offensive rebounds and 15 total rebounds in the ten minute spand. Jocelyn Mendoza dominated in the paint with 4 offensive rebounds for the Falcons.
- Theresa Pereira contributed all of her four point total in the third quarter with a pair of free throws and a lay-up.
- Jones continued to create shot opportunities for herself and tacked on 10 points in the second half, including a three point effort following a Pamela Libby steal.
- Fisher were swifter and more clinical on the counter-attack as they had 16 points from turnovers compared to Lesley's 7.
- Lesley played a clean defensive game, only allowed the Falcons to get to the free throw line five times. The Falcons were perfect in their attempts shooting 10-10, while Lesley finished with a 61.4% conversation rate (11-18).
- The offensive boards proved to be a difference maker with the Falcons mustering 9 second chance points to the Lynx 0.
- The Lynx defensive forced 19 turnovers for the Falcons, 9 of which were sparked by steals. Jones had 4 steals of her own to lead Lesley.
Linda Wallentine 12 points 6 rebounds
Dakota Jones 9 points 10 rebounds
Murphy Carroll 17 points 4 rebounds
Jocelyn Mendoza 11 points 9 rebounds
Lesley make the two hour trip south west to play Bay Path in an NECC game on Saturday, February 3 at 1pm. Fisher have no day to rest as they play St Joseph on Friday, February 2 at 1pm.