Cambridge, Mass- The Lesley Women's Basketball team fell to conference foe Wheelock College 64-48 Thursday evening at Nicholas Athletic Center in Cambridge. The visiting squad took a 13-point cushion into the half and never let the Lynx take the lead. With the loss Lesley falls to 4-18 overall and 4-9 in NECC play, while the Wildcats improve to 6-12 overall and 5-8 in conference.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Wildcats opened up the night on a 10-0 run led by Katie Walsh (4 points) and Sarah Tobin (4 points).
- Karyn McEvoy and Abby Henderson got the Lynx on the board with back to back jumpers with 5:04 left to play in the opening quarter.
- Dakota Jones worked the paint and sunk two free throws to add to the Lynx total during an otherwise slow offensive second quarter for both teams. Jones led the Lynx with 4 or their total 6 points in the quarter.
- Holly O'Sullivan and Emma Siver shot back to back 3-pointers to lift the Wildcats to 23-13 with 6:13 left in the half. Wheelock was able to extend their lead 31-17 behind Walsh with 10 points and 14 rebounds.
- Lesley came out of the break ready to attacked with a 7-0 sparked by Theresa Pereira's 5 points in two possessions. Henderson hit from beyond the arc to close the gap 34-27 and kept the Lynx in the game.
- Lesley had their strongest quarter in the third, matching the Wildcats total points with 19. Pereira led the young squad with 10 points including two from down town.
- Despite a strong third quarter, the Wildcats were able to extend their lead as much as 17 points, and continued to set the charge in the final ten minutes.
- Jones (14 points) and Henderson (12 points) led Lesley with Pereira close behind with 10 points. Jones continued to be a force in the paint grabbing 9 rebounds.
- Walsh recorded a double-double in her dominant performance with 27 points and 23 rebounds to help earn Wheelock the victory. Sarah Tobin chipped in a double-double of her own with 14 points and 15 rebounds.
Dakota Jones- 14 points, 9 rebounds
Abby Henderson- 12 points, 4 rebounds, 1 steal
Katie Walsh- 27 points, 23 rebounds, 2 blocks
Sarah Tobin- 14 points, 15 rebounds
The Lynx next travel to Elms College on Saturday with a 1:00pm tip off.