Medford, Mass- A strong second half performance helped Southern Vermont College in a come from behind conference victory over the Lesley University women's basketball team, 59-54, at Medford High School on Monday night. The Mountaineers go to 4-8 on the season, 2-3 in conference, while the Lynx slip to 0-11, 0-5 in conference.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Both teams started the game trading baskets as they held each other close finishing 13-11 Mountaineers after one quarter.
- The Lynx were able to pull away in the final minutes of the second quarter to take the lead going into the half. A Karyn McEvoy jump shot at 6:01 sparked a 14-1 spurt to close out the 2nd quarter, 29-20 in favor of the Lynx.
- Lesley continued its hot shooting coming out of the locker room, as Kacey Johnson hit a three-pointer to start open the second half. However, Southern Vermont College closed the frame with a 12-2 run bringing the lead down to four points, 42-38 Lesley.
- The Mountaineers opened the final quarter with a 13-0 stretch, capturing the lead after a Breanna Hudson layup made it 44-42 at the 6:05 mark. The lead grew to as many as nine after a Liv Pressley layup made the score 51-42 with 4:38 remaining in the game. The Lynx did provide a late push bringing the gap down to two points courtesy of a Dakota Jones free throw, 53-51 Mountaineers.
- Good free throw shooting down the stretch kept the Lynx at bay until the final whistle blew, 59-54 Moutaineers.
- Dakota Jones recorded season high 27 points and 17 rebounds for her 11th straight double-double. Theresa Pereira finished with 11 points while shooting a perfect six of six from the free throw line.
- Maddy Main posted a double-double, 13 points and 17 boards, in route to the Mountaineers victory.
- Two Mountaineers, Julia Ryan and Liv Pressley, both contributed career highs in points, 14 points and 12 points respectively.
The Lynx welcome Mitchell College on Thursday, January 10th at 6:00PM for a conference faceoff. Southern Vermont College will host Eastern Nazarene College Thursday, January 10th, at 5:00PM.