Medford, Mass.—Visiting Mitchell College women's basketball team proved their dominance and reason for remaining undefeated in NECC conference play in a 88-51 win over host Lesley University Thursday evening. The win gives the Mariners their seventh on the year with a 7-5 overall record, and a perfect 6-0 in NECC conference play. The Lynx are still searching for their first victory and drop to 0-12 overall.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Mitchell set the tone right away with a dominant first quarter outscoring the Lynx 20-8. Lesley jumped out to a quick 4-1 lead and battled with the powerful Mariners through most of the first.
- With 3:48 on the clock and the Mariners up 12-8, the visiting team closed it out with an 8-0 run to make it a 12 point deficit after the first ten minutes.
- Mitchell spotted a 19-4 run in the in the final seven minutes of the second quarter and entered half time with a commanding 43-17 lead.
- Lesley had a much stronger second half nearly reaching their point total in the first half in the third quarter alone with 15. Junior Dakota Jones had 16 points in the second half to pace the Lynx, and battled the boards with seven rebounds.
- The Lynx were able to close out the fourth quarter with 19 points, and held the Mariners to 21 for an evenly contested final quarter. Despite the final efforts, the first half dominance proved plenty for Mitchell to earn the 88-51 conference victory.
- Jones led all scorers on the night with 29 points and 12 rebounds in the loss, earning her 12th consecutive double-double.
- Mitchell posted four players with double-digit point totals in the win. Le'Sandra Turner led the Mariners with 24 points, and Amina Wiley was close behind with 19 and also grabbed 10 rebounds.
Lesley continues its conference slate when the travel to Eastern Nazarene College on Saturday January 12 with a tip off time of 2pm.