New London, CT.— Lesley University Women's Basketball could not overcome a quick start from Mitchell College, as the Mariners won an New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) game 88-41, at Yarnall Athletic Center on Thursday night. With the loss, Lesley falls to 1-20, 1-14 in conference. Mitchell College boost their record to 14-8, 13-2 in NECC play.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Mitchell started early as they put together a 14-7 stretch through the first five minutes of the contest. Mitchell would control the rest of the quarter, finishing on an 9-1 run, they held a 23-8 advantage over Lesley after one period.
- Lesley responded after the short break as they began to chip away at the deficit. A pair Dakota Jones free throws brought the lead to just 12 points at the 8:00 minute mark, 25-13. However, the Mariners would dominant the offensive glass, leading to second chance points. Mitchell would close the half on a 19-6 spurt to put them firmly ahead, 44-19.
- Lesley continued to push but could not overcome to scoring of Mitchell. Lesley would score their most points of game in 3rd quarter, but were outscored in the quarter 18-13. Mitchell continued with the advantage after three quarters, 62-32.
- The home team would expand their lead to as many as 49 points lead in the fourth quarter. Mitchell would eventually win the contest 88-41.
- Mitchell dominated the paint throughout the game. Mitchell finished with 50 points from the painted area.
- Jones and Theresa Pereira lead the for the Lynx in the scoring category, with 16 points and 10 points respectively.
- Reigning NECC Women's Basketball Rookie of the Week Amina Wiley, lead the way for the Mariners with a double-double performance of 25 points and 17 rebounds. Marissa Sweeny also contributed a double-double, 17 points and 11 rebounds, while Le'Sandra Turner added 11 points in the winning effort.
Lesley (1-20, 1-14) will next play Eastern Nazarene College Saturday, February 9th, at 1:30PM. Mitchell College (14-8, 13-2) are back in action against Southern Vermont College Saturday, February 9th, with a tip off at 1:00PM.