Cambridge, Mass.-- The Lynx extended a 2-0 lead after the half to claim the season opener victory 6-1 over the Rams of Suffolk University. The match was the first for both squads this season.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Lesley pressured the Suffolk defense early on, but the Ram defense held tough over the first 20 minutes of play before the Lynx broke open the scoring. Xaelel Allen-Caballero put away a feed from Hope Seasholes in the 26th minute to give the hosts the first point of the day.
- The Rams looked to level the playing field just 25 seconds later as Melanie Boisvert fired a free kick from the 45-yard line. The freshman's attempt was dead center and made Lesley's keeper Jill Narby leave her feet, but the rock grazed the crossbar to keep Suffolk off the scoreboard.
- From there, the Lynx maintained their lead before adding to it with just under three minutes remaining in the first frame. Katelyn Scott slipped the ball to Julia Cohn and netted a high 10-yarder to push Lesley's edge to two heading into the half.
- Freshman Claire Hounslow kicked off a 4 goal second half when she hooked the ball from well outside of the left 18-yard line into the top right corner.
- Samantha Bessey netted two goals for the Lynx to extend their lead. Her first was off a one-on-one with Rams keeper Allison Rodrigues, while her second she showed fancy foot skills and flicked it in while her back was to the net.
- Kaillee Morehead laced a bullet to the back of the net in between Bessey's goals for the final Lynx player to score.
- With just over 10 minutes remaining, Caleigh O'Brien erased Lesley's shutout and put Suffolk on the scoreboard on a free ball to trim the margin to five.
- The distance was too great for the Rams to make up, however, as the Lynx maintained the lead to seal the 6-1 victory.
"Tonight we played a really organized and disciplined Suffolk team," said head coach Paul Vasconcelous. We usually play well against them, tonight we had some difficulties and eventually broke through. We played with good work rate and good energy tonight, and we put some balls in the back of the net. We look forward to the rest of the weekend."
The Lynx next travel to Wellesley College on Sunday September 2 for another non-conference match. Kickoff is set for 12pm.