WELLESLEY, Mass. -- Lesley University senior Xaelel Allen-Caballero scored the only goal of the game in the second half to send the visiting Lynx to a 1-0 non-conference victory over Wellesley College soccer on Sunday afternoon. The Lynx improve to 2-0-0 on the season, dropping the Blue to 1-1-0.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Much of the match was an even contested battle, with Wellesley having the best chance to score in the first half. First year Liz Zhou skipped a shot from the top of the penalty area off the crossbar in the 22nd minute, but the Lynx defense was able to clear the rebound and shut down the threat.
- Wellesley had the first opportunity to score in the second half when Deyanira Ibarra found the back of the net in the 51st minute, a tight Lynx defense kept her offside and the goal was taken back.
- With the game still scoreless, the Lynx would strike on the second of back-to-back corners to take the 1-0 lead just minutes later. Senior Rachel Buckley (San Diego, Calif.) sent the ball into the area, where it clipped a Wellesley defender and found Allen-Caballero. Allen-Caballero then volleyed a drive into the net for her second goal of the season in the 58th minute.
- Lesley sophomore goalkeeper Jill Narby made four saves to improve to 2-0-0 on the season and earn her second career shutout. Blue junior Olivia Reckley also turned back four chances and is now 1-1-0.
- Wellesley finished the contest with a 10-6 advantage in shots but the visitors held a slight edge in attempts on goal, 5-4.
"This was a good team win today against a really organized and dynamic Wellesley team," said head coach Paul Vasconcelos. We had some key players out with injuries and some of our players really stepped up today."
Lesley will hit the road to take on MIT on Wednesday September 5th before their trip to Texas for two games.