Waltham Mass.—The Lesley Women's Soccer team took down undefeated Brandeis University, who was recently ranked No. 10 in Division III by the United Soccer Coaches and No. 13 by D3soccer.com, with a score of 1-0 Tuesday evening. With the win, the Lynx improve to 7-3 overall, while the Judges slip to 8-1.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Judges were on the offensive side of the ball in the first half, outshooting Lesley 10-5 including 5-3 on shots on goal.
- On the first shot of the second half, the Lynx connected for the game's only goal. In the 51st minute, senior Jordan Mitchell dribbled a ball into space and launched a shot from about 30 yards out. It dipped just under the crossbar and out of the reach of Brandeis junior keeper Sierra Dana.
- Brandeis put on some pressure over the next five minutes, earning three straight corner kicks, but were unable to break through.
- Lesley junior Brittley Gaan was terrific in goal for the visitors, including making a diving stop at the far left post in the 61st minute on Brandeis senior Julia Matson. Gaan had eight saves in the win, and posted her fourth shutout in as many starts.
- The Judges had the edge in shots 20-11 on the night, and also corners 7-2, but the Lynx back line was able to keep them scoreless and hold on to the 1-0 win.
"All the credit to our players, they worked really hard and stayed disciplined," said head coach Paul Vasconcelos on the big win. "This is a really big win for our program, the staff and I are so proud of our players. Britt came up huge for us tonight, definitely the player of the game!"
Lesley next travels to Bay Path University for an NECC match up on Saturday at 11am.