Cambridge, Mass.— The No. 1 seeded Lesley University hosted No. 4 Southern Vermont in the NECC Semi Final match Wednesday evening at Franke Field. The Lynx defeated the Mountaineers 6-1 to move onto the Championship Match. With the loss, Southern Vermont ends the season with an overall record of 9-7-2, while the Lynx improve to 15-4.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- After back and forth unsettled play for the first ten minutes, the Lynx struck first to take an early 1-0 lead. In the 12th minute of play, first year Tayla Mayberry crossed a ball from the left wing and connected with a charging Xaelel Allen-Caballero for a one time shot past the keeper.
- In the 21st minute freshmen duo of Claire Hounslow and Mayberry doubled the Lesley lead. Hounslow chased a long ball down the right wing and sent a perfect ball to the foot of Mayberry for the one time blast.
- Lesley struck for the third time in the 26th minute when Kendall Eagan chipped a ball into the goalie box. Senior Samantha Bessey collided with the Mountaineers keeper and won possession for top shelf goal.
- Southern Vermont put one on the board a few minutes later to make it 3-1. Jayne Wierzbicki chased down a loose ball just outside the goalie box, and blasted it to the top left corner of the net.
- Lesley opened up the second half with a goal in the 52nd minute. Mayberry and Rachel Buckley synced up for some quick passing, before Buckley served Jordan Mitchell for the goal.
- Allen-Caballero and Hounslow both netted goals from well outside the eighteen to bring the score to 6-1 with twenty minutes left.
- Lesley outshot the Mountaineers 25-3 in the match. Taylor Jarosz registered 9 saves in the loss for Southern Vermont.
Lesley will look to defend the NECC title on Saturday November 3rd when they host the No. 2 seeded New England College.