GRANTHAM, PA. -- The Lesley Women's Soccer team was defeated by the Messiah Falcons, the number one seed and host of their section of the bracket, in the first round of the NCAA DIII Women's Soccer Tournament on Saturday morning. The Falcons moved on by defeating the Lynx 5-0.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Falcons showed why they have made twenty straight NCAA Tournament appearances by jumping all over the Lynx. They outshot the Lynx 27 to 6, with only one of the Lynx's shots being on net.
- The Lynx held strong with a tough opponent over the first twenty minutes, limiting the Falcons to a few shots. Sophie Smurthwaite was able to get a shot off for the Lynx, but Lydia Ewing continued her dominance and kept Smurthwaite out.
- In the 23rd minute, the Falcons saw their chance with a cross, but the Lynx were able to divert the ball. They were unable to clear it out far enough, though, and Megan Mansfield scored her first of two goals on the day off the bounce.
- The Falcons got on the board again just a couple of minutes before halftime when Brianna Siep launched a shot into the left side of the net to double the lead to 2-0.
- After halftime, it was all Falcons. Mansfield scored her second goal five minutes in off an assist from Ellie Lengacher and Rebecca Ritchie followed it up a few minutes later after Lynx goalie Brittley Gaan was unable to knock out a cross and left the net open for a shot.
- The fifth and final goal came for the Falcons when Ritchie found herself alone with Gaan and knocked in her second goal of the day.
- Smurthwaite and Alexandria Torres led the Lynx with two shots each, while Julia Cohn and Gabby Vesona added one each. Mansfield led both teams with seven shots.
- Gaan saved eight of thirteen shots taken at her in her 90 minutes in net, while Ewing saved the only shot taken at her and Courtney Dunlop had no shots sent her way after she took over for the final 23 minutes.