Providence, R.I.—Rhode Island College sophomore Grace Zangari's (Saunderstown, RI) win at No. 1 singles clinched a 9-0 victory over Lesley in collegiate women's tennis action played at the RIC Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 9, Lesley 0
Rhode Island College (1-0)
INSIDE THE SCORESHEET:
• The RIC duo comprised of sophomores Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) and Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) defeated Lesley senior Sarah Tobin (Amesbury, MA) and sophomore Mary Pulling (Whitman Hanson, MA), 8-0, at No. 3 doubles.
• RIC senior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and sophomore Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) combined to defeat Lesley junior Maddie Abbott (Portland, ME) and senior Jessica Russo (Watertown, MA), 8-1, at No. 1 doubles.
• Braganca blanked Stanton (6-0, 6-0) at No. 4 singles and Zangari clinched the win with a straight set (6-0, 6-1) victory over Abbott at first singles.
• Raskob and Ten Eyck defeated Pulling and Tobin (6-0, 6-0) at fifth and sixth singles, respectively.
• Bobola downed Russo (6-0, 6-1) at No. 3 singles, while Vittori battled back to defeat Pereira (2-6, 7-5, 10-5) to complete the sweep.
"It was a great match to start our season, there was a lot of good long points played along with great effort from our girls. We are looking forward to build off this match on the court tomorrow against Regis," said senior captain Jessica Russo.
The Lynx next travel to Regis College Saturday September 1st with a match time of 11am.