Fitchburg, Mass.—The Lesley Women's Volleyball team opened the 2018 season with a victory over Fitchburg State, 3-2.
Score: Fitchburg State 2, Lesley 3 (22-25, 25-12, 25-7, 14-25, 4-15)
Records: Fitchburg State (1-2) | Lesley (1-0)
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Both teams battled back-and-forth in the first set and were knotted at 22-22, however Lesley ended the set with an 3-0 run off the serve of libero Wing Li to earn the 25-22 score.
- The Falcons spotted the Lynx a 5-0 lead in the second game then reeled off seven straight points to never trail again. Senior Kristina Osborne sparked the first run collecting six points on the serve. After Lesley tied the score at 7-all, senior Falcon Nicole Sylvester countered with another six point serve to extend the Falcon lead, earning the 25-12 set victory.
- In the third set, the Falcons had a complete team effort controlling the game after allowing the Lynx the opening point, then never trailed en route to the 25-7 final.
- Both teams traded point for point in the fourth. First year Maile Counts highlighted a six point run with three kills to take an early 6-2 lead. Falcons closed the gap 10-9, but the Lynx would go on a 10-2 run sparked by kills from Cassidy Wygonik, before a pair of defensive errors made the score 20-13. Lesley closed out the set with a defensive error from the Falcons to force the fifth set.
- Lesley opened the final frame with a 5-0 run off sophomore Tallin Goldberg's serve. The Falcons couldn't recover and a pair of kills from Wygonik gave the visitors the 15-3 set win, and the 3-2 final.
- Lesley's Wygonik and Counts led all players with 13 kills. Counts added 8 assists and four service aces, while Wygonik posted five service aces.
- Lesley held a 17-13 edge in service aces.
The Lynx will visit UMass Dartmouth on Saturday September 8th for a tri-match with Salem State starting at noon.