MEDFORD, MA. – The Lesley women's volleyball team could not stop the rally by the Massachusetts Maritime Buccaneers, falling 3 sets to 2. The Lynxare now 3-9 on the season, while the Bucaneers move to 2-11.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynx opened the night strong, winning the first two sets of the match. Cassidy Wygonik served a four point run that opened the first set up for Lesley, breaking a 17-17 tie. The Lynx never looked back and took the set 25-21.
- Lesley took another early lead in the second set, with Nicole Pietrocola leading an early four point run. Allison Napoleon had four kills in the set and the Lynx took it 25-19 for a 2-0 lead.
- The third set was a back-and-forth affair throughout, with the Buccaneers eventually taking a 25-22 win. Bianca Andronic was involved in three big points, putting Mass Maritime ahead for good with a kill and two more points serving.
- Rebecca Cargile served a six point run in the fourth set to put the Buccaneers ahead 13-8 early. The Lynx fought back, with Wygonik and Pietrocola leading a four point run to tie the set after falling behind. Mass Maritime was able to capture two final points to win the set 27-25 and tie the match at two sets apiece.
- The Lynx hung in against the rally and kept the final set close throughout. Merceidiz Diaz led a six point run to tie the set at 12 after the Lynx fell behind. Christina Ruggeri was able to close it for the Buccaneers with a three point run and a match-winning 16-14 set win.
- The Lynx were led in kills by Wygonik with 21 and Napoleon with 11, while Tallin Goldberg had 33 assists. Michelle Sheehan had 10 kills for the Buccaneers and Andronic had 14 assists.
The Lynx have another home match, this time taking on non-conference Curry College on Thursday October 8th at 7 PM.