Northborough, MA: The Lesley Lynx kicked off conference play by taking both games of a double header against the Becker Hawks. Both games were close, earning a 5-4 victory in game one and then a thrilling 3-2 win in walk off fashion in extra innings in game two. With the win the Lynx improve to 8-4 overall and 2-0 in NECC conference and the Hawks slide to 4-10 overall and 2-3 in conference.
GAME 1-INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Hawks got an early lead in the top of the first with a 3 run homerun from Mike Bianco. In the bottom of the inning the Lynx would add 1 run from an RBI by Ryan Pumphret to drive in Vincent Taliercio and make it 3-1.
- The Lynx were able to tie it up in the bottom of the 2nd with Nicholas Ferragine scoring on a wild pitch followed by an RBI single from Christopher Papallo. They took a 4-3 lead in the third off an RBI double from Steven DePalma.
- Pumphret attacked again in the fourth to give Lesley an insurance run and a 2-run lead, 5-3.
- Senior Ace Tom Muratore was dealing on the mound and kept the Hawks from scoring through the next four innings and only allowed two hits.
- Christ Testa hit an RBI double in the fifth to make a one run ball game.
- The hawks threatened in the top of the seventh earning a lead off walk from Cobey Hussey who later stole second base. With one out and runners at the corners, a perfect grounder to second baseman Will Rhone set up for a game ending double play to secure the Lynx 5-4 victory.
GAME 2-INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Lynx started the scoring in the bottom of the 1st with an RBI single from Ryan Pumphret to bring in Vincent Taliercio. It was a pitcher's duel the rest of the way, with both teams only mustering a combined 3 hits through 5 innings of play. In the top of the sixth, the Hawks surpassed the Lynx on the scoreboard, 2-1.
- Coby Hussey lead off the inning with a single, then advanced to third off a double from Chris Testa. Hussey scored on a wild pitch, and then the Hawks took a 2-1 lead off an RBI single from Cam Plank. The Lynx got out of the inning only trailing by one when Kevin Perez grounded into a double play.
- With two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning, Pumphret hit a solo shot to tie the game and force extra innings.
- Depsite getting runners on first and second with one out, the Hawks were unable to break the stalemate in the top of the eighth.
- J.P. Agiorousis lead off the bottom of the 8th with a single. Will Rhone moved Agiorousis into scoring position and set up Taliercio for a walk off double to left field for the thrilling 3-2 win.
- Lynx starters Tom Muratore and Nick Iadevaio both pitched complete game victories. Muratore struck out 12 only allowing 4 hits in the 5-4 game one victory, while Iadevaio fanned 9 batters and scattered 5 hits in the 3-2 extra inning victory.
- Ryan Pumphret led the offense going .500 on the day with 4 RBI's, 1 double, and 1 HR.
- Vincent Taliercio went 2-5 with a double, 2 runs, and the game winning RBI in game two.
"The guys came out today with championship level focus and attention to detail," said head coach Billy Cather. "Our two starters went out and battled with one of the best offenses in the league and gave us a chance to win. At the end of the day, we were able to execute when we needed to offensively on a very tough day to play with the conditions."
The Lynx are back for a double header against Lyndon State at New England Baseball Complex on Tuesday March 27th at 3:00 and 5:00 pm.