Winter Haven, FL. - Lesley University baseball finished its Florida trip with a doubleheader against Franklin & Marshall College in Winter Haven, Florida on Saturday afternoon. Lesley came up short in the first game 3-2, followed by a F & M win, 12-6. The Lynx return to Cambridge posting a record 1-8. The Diplomats move to 10-2 on the season.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Trailing 2-0 in bottom third, Nicholas Ferragine (Randolph, N.J.) started the inning by reaching on a hit by pitch (HBP). After reaching third on two wild pitches, Ferragine was driven in by a Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA) single to center field to get Lesley on the board.
- Lesley still trailed in the bottom of the seventh, 3-1, but put up a fight at the plate. Will Rhone (North Haven, CT.) reached on a fielder's choice which scored Ferragine, on a throwing error from the third basemen.
- However, the Diplomats were able to close things down at that point and end a comeback bid.
- Colin Reed (Bedford, N.Y.) pitched a complete game allowing just three runs while picking up five strikeouts.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Down 11-0 in the top of the sixth, Lesley put four runs on the board to limit the Diplomats lead. Following a Matt Bavaro (Sayville, N.Y.) double, Jacob Cervantes (Ventura, CA.) reached on an error, which brought home the first run for the Lynx.
- Later in the inning, Rhone singled with the bases loaded to bring home another pair of runs. Christopher Papallo (Southbury, CT.) followed with a single of his own to plate another run.
- Lesley grabbed its final runs in the seventh, Gabriel Coyne-Martinez (Pittsfield, MA.) doubled to bring Cervantes and Gage Reycroft (Fort Myers, FL.) to the plate.
- Rhone and Reycroft led the way offensively with two hits each, while Coyne-Martinez and Rhone added two RBIs each.
Lesley (1-8) return to the field on the road Wednesday, March 20, against Curry College at 3:30PM, in Milton.