Northborough, MA - Lesley University baseball split home opener against Colby-Sawyer College at New England Baseball Complex (NEBC). The Chargers took game 1 in extra innings 7-6, while Lesley controlled game two with a 9-1 victory. Both teams improve their overall record to 2-9 on the season.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Trailing 2-0 after the top of first, Lesley responded with three runs to take the lead. Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA.) started things with a sacrifice fly to right to score Will Rhone (North Haven, CT.) from third. The next batter Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, MA.) popped a two run homerun, his first of season, to take lead for Lesley.
- Colby-Sawyer regained the lead, 4-3, in the top of the third. However, Lesley would tie things up in the bottom of the inning. Brendan Fairchild (Temecula, CA.) hit a double down the left field line to score Pumphret from second.
- The Chargers responded with two more runs in the top of the fourth, but Lesley replied again in the bottom of the fifth. A sacrifice out from Matthew Warner (San Diego, CA.) brought home a run. That setup Fairchild to bring Pumphret home again on another double, this brought the score to 6-6.
- Both teams locked down defensively to stay tied after seven innings. The Chargers would find the breakthrough in the top of the eighth with a sacrifice fly. Lesley would put a runner on base in the bottom of the inning, but failed to bring the runner home.
- Fairchild and Pumphret paced the Lynx with two hits and two RBI's
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley jumped all over the Chargers pitching in the first inning. Singles for Rhone and Vincent Taliercio (Valley Stream, N.Y.) got things started, Rhone would score on Taliercio steal. Next, Martinez came to the plate belting a two-run homerun (HR) over right-center fence to give Lynx an early 3-0 lead, Martinez first HR of the season.
- Two batters later, following a Pumphret single, Warner hammered his first HR of the year plating two more runs for the Lynx. Later in the inning, Nicholas Ferragine (Randolph, N.J.) poked a single up the middle bring Jacob Cervantes (Sayville, N.Y.) to the plate, capping off six run frame.
- The second inning was more of the same as Pumphret came up with an RBI single, immediately followed by another Warner HR. This gave the Lynx total control with a 9-0 lead.
- Brett Dabrowski (South Windsor, CT.) pitched a six innings only allowing one run off seven hits, collected three strikeouts throughout the game.
- Lesley as a team had 13 hits, four Lynx registered two or more hits (Pumphret three, Warner two, Rhone two, and Tailerico two).
Lesley (2-9) have a quick turnaround as they host Northern Vermont-Lyndon on Tuesday, March 26, for a non-conference doubleheader. Game 1 is set to start at 2:00PM.