Henniker, N.H. - Lesley University baseball earned split against New England College in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) DH at Laurie Cox Field. Lesley scored three runs in final inning to take game 1, 5-4. In game two, NEC used a seven run second inning to control the game for a 10-2 win. The Lynx improve its record to 6-13 overall and 4-2 in conference play. Meanwhile, NEC move to 15-7, also 4-2 in conference play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Pilgrims would score first, with two runs in the first inning. Lesley would fight back in the third inning with a Javi Martinez (Chelsea, MA.) single to score Will Rhone (North Haven, CT.). NEC would respond with a run of their own in the third to hold a 3-1 lead.
- Both teams would grab a run in the sixth inning to make the score 4-2. Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, MA.) popped a solo homerun to keep the game close.
- However, Lesley's hitting came alive for the final frame. After two hits to start the inning, a Nicholas Ferragine (Randolph, N.J.) sacrifice groundout would score a run for the Lynx and put the tying run on third. After an intentional walk of Rhone, Vincent Taliercio (Valley Stream, N.Y.) would double and bring home two runs to give Lesley their first lead of the day, 5-4.
- Daniel O'Donnell Jr. (Clark, N.J.) would close out the game to give the Lynx an important conference win, 5-4. O'Donnell Jr. would earn the win as he held off the Pilgrims in bottom of the seventh, as the tying run was on third base and the wining run was on second base before the final out was recorded.
- Lesley collected six hits, three in the seventh, with four Lynx coming up with an RBI [Taliercio (2), Martinez, Pumphret, and Ferragine]
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley would take an early lead in the contest, courtesy of another Pumphret homer, 1-0.
- However, NEC jumped all over the Lynx pitching in the second inning. The Pilgrims put together five hits to bring in seven runs and hold a firm advantage, which they would not relinquish.
- Pumphret would come up with another solo homerun in the fourth inning to cut into the home team's advantage. NEC would add three more runs to its lead, without reply, to grab a 10-2 victory.
- The Lesley offense was led by Pumphret with three of the Lynx seven hits, and both RBI's and runs.
Lesley (6-13, 4-2) return to action the next day with a doubleheader against Dean College. The games will be played at Clark University in Worcester, Mass., beginning at 1:00 and 4:00 PM. New England College (15-7, 4-2) travel to Salve Regina for a non-conference contest on Sunday, April 7th.