READING, MA. – The Lesley Lynx Baseball team split a doubleheader with the Rivier College Raiders on Sunday afternoon, losing the first game 11-6 and taking the second 6-5. The Lynx move to 6-8 this season, while the Raiders finish the day at 1-8.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- The Lynx jumped out ahead in the first game, picking up two runs in the bottom of the first inning before recording an out. James Brandon drove both runs in with a single to score Adam Budorick and Justin Dennett.
- Rivier scored twice over the next two innings to tie the game, with the first run coming off a double by Patrick Young and the second coming as a result of one of Lesley's three errors on the day. After Corey Cochran walked and advanced on an error by Cal Caruso, Zachary White then reached on an error by Andrew Gryniewicz that knocked Dylan Langston out of the game.
- Lesley took the lead back in the bottom of the inning, scoring on a double play. The outs squandered their scoring opportunities and the Raiders broke out with a four-run inning in the top of the fourth. Conor Dines starting the scoring and then a series of fielding miscues and wild pitches brought three more runs in.
- The Lynx again tied the game with three runs over the next two innings, but Rivier scord five runs on four singles in the top of the sixth to put the first game out of reach.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- The second game of the day was another back-and-forth affair, though much quieter in terms of scoring. Rivier attempted to put it away early, scoring three runs in the third inning off of Lynx starter Patrick Teasdale.
- From that point, the Lynx refused to go quietly. They scored two runs to cut the Rivier lead in half in the third and fourth innings and then managed to tie the game in the fifth. Gryniewicz led off the bottom of the inning with his first collegiate career home run, then Brandon doubled to centerfield to drive in Budorick.
- Christian Rapoza came in to try to keep the Lynx ahead, but after two quick outs, White hit a homer to tie the game in the top of the sixth. Lesley had two clutch moments in the bottom of the sixth inning to jump back to a one run lead. Ian Dempsey reached on an error by the Raiders' shortstop on what would have been the third out of the inning, which allowed Matthew Ceruti to score. Budorick drove in Gryniewicz immediately after to put the Lynx on top for good.
- Gryniewicz had a perfect second game of the day, going 3-for-3 with the homer, along with two runs scored and an RBI. Rapoza picked up the late-innings win after striking out four over two innings of relief.
The Lynx take on Colby-Sawyer at home on Wednseday March 23rd. First pitch of game one of the doubleheader will be at 4 PM.