Leicester, MA-The Lesley men's basketball team faced the Becker College Hawks on Wednesday, January 31, suffering a 14 point loss at the Leicester school. Becker held the lead for the entire New England College Conference match up with Samuel Durodola chipping in with 31 points for the Hawks. Sophomore Jordan Bellitti scored 16 points and 4 rebounds and junior Joey Martin contributed 15 points and 9 rebounds for the Lynx offense. Lesley is now 11-9 overall for the season and 6-3 in conference games while Becker now has the exact same overall and conference records as the Lynx.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Senior Will Gibson got the Lynx off the mark with a pair of free throws after falling 4-0 behind to the home team.
- Gibson added a three pointer and a layup to cut the deficit to 19-9 with just less than 10 minutes to play in the opening half.
- Jordan Bellitti, who would go on to be the Lynx top-scorer for the evening, opened his account with a layup following a Will Gibson steal with 4:53 left in the first half.
- Gibson put up the last score of the half with a layup after he won an offensive rebound. However, the Lynx were struggling to keep in touch with the Hawks as they went into the break 39-24 behind.
- The Lynx started the second half encouragingly with a seven point run consisting of a Joey Martin three pointer and jump shots from Chase Howard and Jordan Bellitti.
- Becker's star player Samuel Durodola landed a three pointer which put the Hawks 54-35 clear with 13:02 remaining in the game.
- Jalen Robinson, who was tied second in the scoring stakes with teammate Donzell Cunningham, found the net from a free throw attempt giving the Hawks a handsome 64-49 advantage.
- Lesley's last score of the evening was a three pointer from the hands of William Cuffee in the remaining minute. Becker finished off the game with a six point run.
- Becker lead Lesley in points on turnovers category with 17 compared to just 6 for the Lynx.
- The Hawks led in field goal percentage of 45% compared to the Lynx' 32.8%.
Jordan Bellitti 16 points, 4 rebounds
Joey Martin 15 points, 9 rebounds
Samuel Durodola 31 points, 10 rebounds
Jalen Robinson 10 points, 3 assists
THE INSIDE SCOOP:
Lesley Head Coach Chris Giordano on his side's loss: "Credit to Becker, their defense was phenomenal. They executed and got what they wanted and deserved to win. We're looking forward to getting better at practice tomorrow and Friday for Saturday's game."
Lesley will face NECC opponents Southern Vermont College on Saturday, February 3 at 1pm. Becker are also on the road on the same day as they play NECC opposition in the form of Wheelock College at 12pm.