BOSTON, MA – Sophomore Roman Pham (Lynnfield, MA) dropped just one game, while winning a pair of matches to lead the Lesley University men's tennis team to a 9-0 victory over host Wheelock College in a New England Collegiate Conference contest this evening in a match at the Winsor Courts in Boston, MA. The Lynx improve to 7-5 overall and 6-2 in NECC play, while the Wildcats fall to 0-9 and 0-7.
Pham defeated Wheelock freshman Jamileh Sabeti-Javid (Nice, France), 6-0, 6-1 at sixth singles, following an 8-0 victory with doubles partner Jimmy Paulsen (Monroe, CT) over junior Sunshine Shearer (English Harbour, Antigua) and sophomore Rosie Camara (Bristol, RI) at the number three spot. Paulsen won his singles match for Lesley as well, taking down Shearer at fifth singles, 6-0, 6-2.
Senior Nick Mattox (Pasadena, MD) won at first singles over Wildcats sophomore Charles Armstrong-Hicks (Windsor, CT), 6-1, 6-0 and teamed with junior Mike Kaufman (Boca Raton, FL) to take number one doubles for the Lynx over Armstrong-Hicks and senior Jeff Silveria (Wilmington, MA), 8-3. Kaufman was a double winner as well for Lesley, earning a 6-0, 6-0 decision at fourth singles over Camara. Senior Alex Zhitnik (West Hartford, CT) came out on top at second singles for the Lynx, 6-0, 6-1, over Silveria. He paired up with junior Thomas Tedesco (Bristol, CT) earlier in the match to win at number two doubles over the Wheelock tandem of sophomores Caelin Mooney (Rensselaer, NY) and Lexi Seder (Norwich, CT), 8-1. Tedesco followed his doubles win for Lesley with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph at third singles over Mooney.
The Wildcats will be in action again on Wednesday, April 17 when they take on NECC foe Newbury College at 4:30 p.m. in a match to be played on the campus of Pine Manor College in Chestnut Hill, MA. The Lynx return to the courts on April 18 when they host Regis College at the Buckingham, Browne and Nichols Courts at 7:30 p.m.
1. Nick Mattox (LUMTEN13) def. C. Armstrong-Hicks (WCMT) 6-1, 6-0
2. Alex Zhitnik (LUMTEN13) def. Jeff Silveria (WCMT) 6-0, 6-1
3. Thomas Tedesco (LUMTEN13) def. Caelin Mooney (WCMT) 6-1, 6-2
4. Mike Kaufman (LUMTEN13) def. Rosie Camara (WCMT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jimmy Paulsen (LUMTEN13) def. Sunshine Shearer (WCMT) 6-0, 6-2
6. Roman Pham (LUMTEN13) def. Jamileh Sabeti-Javid (WCMT) 6-0, 6-1
1. Nick Mattox/Mike Kaufman (LUMTEN13) def. C. Armstrong-Hicks/Jeff Silveria (WCMT) 8-3
2. Alex Zhitnik/Thomas Tedesco (LUMTEN13) def. Caelin Mooney/Lexi Seder (WCMT) 8-1
3. Jimmy Paulsen/Roman Pham (LUMTEN13) def. Sunshine Shearer/Rosie Camara (WCMT) 8-0