Henniker, N.H. - Lesley University softball fell in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) doubleheader with New England College (NEC) on Wednesday afternoon at Old Concord Field. In game one, NEC won 9-0 after five innings. The Pilgrims would take game two, 6-5. The Lynx move to 17-13 overall, while they move to 5-5 in NECC action. The Pilgrims improve to 20-6 record on the season, 8-2 in conference play.
GAME 1-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Pilgrims would strike first in the first inning with three runs. NEC would grab six more runs over the next three innings to hold a 9-0 lead after four full innings.
- The Lesley offense was held scoreless as the Pilgrims took the contest 9-0 after five innings.
- Jordan Day (Seminole, FL.) takes the loss allowing seven runs on seven hits.
- Lesley collected just two hits in the game. Day singled in the fourth inning, while Kristen DiCicco (Wantagh, N.Y.) also had a single in the fifth.
GAME 2-LESLEY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Lesley would grab the first runs as Day posted her team high eighth homerun of the season with Riley Pickett (Rocky Hill, CT.) on first base, who reached on an error. The Pilgrims would pull a run back in the first inning to put the score at 2-1 Lynx after the first.
- In the second inning, Ilana Zack (Randolph, MA.) and Sam Jensen (Milton, MA.) started with back to back hits to get runners on the base path. Two batters later, Lindsey Jensen (Milton, MA.) singled to score S. Jensen.
- At that point, with runners on first and third, Mahlia Medina (Winchester, CA.) grounded to the shortstop but beat out the attempted double play to score DiCicco, from third base. Lesley took a 4-1 advantage after two innings.
- NEC would look dangerous again as they had the bases loaded in the bottom of the third with one out. Jen Thorburn (Gorton, MA.) came up with two pivotal strikeouts to hold the Lynx 4-1 lead. However, NEC would string some hits together in the fourth and grab four runs to take a 5-4 advantage.
- In the sixth inning, Jordan Raab (Rochester, N.H.) led off with a walk, Patricia Muratore (Mamaroneck, N.Y.) replaced Raab as a pinch runner on first base. Later in the inning, a S. Jensen bunt forced an aired throw which brought Muratore home to tie the game at 5-5. Although, NEC would score in the bottom of the sixth from a home run to hold a slim lead, 6-5. The Pilgrims would hold on to complete sweep of the Lynx, 6-5 the final.
- Thorburn's picks up the loss in six innings of work with eight strikeouts.
- The Lynx posted five hits during the contest with Zack leading the way with two, Day picked up two RBI's on the night.
Lesley (17-13, 5-5) host conference opponent, Newbury College, on Friday April 19, for final home series of the regular season, with first pitch at 4:00 PM. New England College (20-6, 8-2) travel to Becker College for a pair of NECC games beginning at 3:00 PM.