LEICESTER, MA. – The Lesley Lynx softball team split their second straight doubleheader with the Becker Hawks, losing the first game 12-4 in six innings and taking the second 13-2. The Lynx now sit at 4-2 on the season, while Becker moves to 7-9.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- Becker jumped out ahead early against freshman pitcher Samantha Mecklenburg. Mecklenburg only retired four batters while allowing six runs on three hits and three walks. Emma Perry doubled for the Hawks to drive in two and Hawks starting pitcher Ashley Veillette helped herself out with a two-run homer.
- The Lynx made it close thanks to a three-run homer by Jordan Day, her first of the season, and an RBI single by Antonia Kieran, but the Hawks weren't finished with the homers yet.
- Emily Iacovelli smashed a two-run shot for Becker in the fifth inning, while Veillette complated a huge day with a grand slam to end the game in the bottom of the sixth innings.
- Veillette picked up her third win of the season and was the difference maker at the plate as well, driving in six total runs.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- The Lynx chose not to let the Hawks get ahead in game two, thanks to a Mahlia Medina lead-off home run and a three-run shot from Kieran, her third homer in the last two days, all in the first inning.
- With a five run lead off the bat, Day had no worries on the mound. She cruised to a complete game finish, allowing only one earned run and striking out five.
- The Lynx let their hot bats ride on their way to thirteen runs scored. Ilana Zack continued her scorching weekend with an RBI double and was then driven in by Kieran, who finished with five RBI on the day.
- Lesley added five more runs in the top of the seventh, with Medina starting things off with another homer, her second of the game. Kristen DiCicco added an RBI single and Tara Eldredge scored on a passed ball.
- Day picked up the win for the Lynx, while Lindsay Mitchell took her fifth loss of the season. She allowed five runs in an inning and a third.
The Lynx host Elms College for a make-up doubleheader on Wednesday, April 14th, with first pitch scheduled for 4 PM.