NEW LONDON, CT. – The Lesley Lynx softball team delivered two late wins against the Mitchell Mariners on Saturday, winning 4-3 and 5-2 to sweep the doubleheader. Lesley advances to 8-2 on the season, while the Mariners fall to 3-12.
INSIDE GAME 1:
- Game one was a pitching duel, but the Lynx were able to draw first blood. Ilana Zack drove in her sixteenth run of the season on a sacrifice fly in the top of the first inning, scoring Mahlia Medina.
- From there, it was quiet until the bottom of the fifth. Kara Haga and Katelyn Lipsky battled on the mound, both throwing complete games. Lipsky finally got some run support on an RBI ground out by Jenna Bennett and an RBI single by Hannah Lemsky.
- Lesley battled back to tie the game in the top of the sixth, with freshman Victoria Lujan driving in Sam Jensen with a base hit. The Lynx added two more to take the lead in the top of the seventh inning on a triple by Riley Pickett to score Jordan Day and a double by Zack to score Pickett.
- Mitchell would not go quietly, as Lemke drove in one more run in the bottom of the seventh, but Haga was able to hold on for her fourth win of the season. Lemke took the loss to fall to 3-6, but was impressive for the Mariners.
INSIDE GAME 2:
- Game 2 was another battle on the mound that extended to eight innings, but Day and the Lynx came out on top. Lesley went up 2-0 quickly, with Tara Eldredge and Zack driving in runs, but Lemke, on the mound in this one, would not let them have much more until late.
- Day cruised on the mound until the late innings, when Nene Capeles drove in a run with a single and Laurissa Amaker scored on a wild pitch to tie the game.
- In the top of the eighth, Day drove in the go-ahead run and got some insurance on Zack's conference-leading eleventh double of the season. Day finished the day with three hits at the plate and fifteen strikeouts on the mound.
- Mitchell was unable to score in the bottom of the eighth, earning Day her fourth win of the season on the mound. Day is first in the conference in batting average at .639 (Zack is third at .576) and second in ERA at 1.08.
The Lynx host Mitchell College for a doubleheader tomorrow, Monday April 19th, with first pitch at 5 PM.