QUINCY, MA. – The Lesley Lynx Softball team took down the second-seeded Mitchell Mariners in an upset in the the first round of the NECC Softball Tournament on Friday afternoon. The Lynx beat the Mariners, who were later eliminated from the postseason, 5-4.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- NECC Co-Player of the Year Jordan Day kicked things off in the top of the first inning with a solo home run off of Co-Pitcher of the Year Katelyn Lipsky. It was Day's ninth homer of the season and 51st run batted in to put the Lynx up 1-0.
- Mitchell tied things up in the bottom of the inning on a double by Alex Lopez. Despite the run, Day still struck out the side to set the tone for her day on the mound.
- The Lynx took the lead back with another home run. This time it was Lindsey Jensen going deep, almost to the same spot as Day, for her third homer of the season. Mitchell then broke things open a bit, putting up three runs in the bottom of the inning. Sydney Oatway and Nene Capeles had back-to-back RBI singles to put the Mariners back on top and Hannah Lemke reached on a fielder's choice to drive in their fourth run.
- Lesley had a three-run inning of their own to take the lead back for good. Jess O'Neill started things off with a base hit and moved to second on a wild pitch, then third on a single by Jensen. Tara Eldredge then reached on an infield single to bring O'Neill home and was followed up by a game-tying double by Mahlia Medina. After Megan Murphy drew a walk to load the bases with one out, Day came up with a fielder's choice that brought Jensen home as the go-ahead run.
- Day shut down the Mariners in the bottom of the seventh with a 1-2-3 inning to close things out. She picked up her 12th win of the year, collecting seven strikeouts over seven innings. Lipsky took the loss, allowing five runs (four earned).
The Lynx take on Eastern Nazarene in the next round of the NECC Tournament tomorrow, Saturday May 6th, at 10 AM.