New London, Conn.---The Lesley women's basketball team suffered their first New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) loss this afternoon dropping to Mitchell College 60-46. The Mariners improve to 1-4, (1-0 NECC) while the Lynx remain winless sitting at 0-7 overall and 0-1 in conference play.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Haley Garcia (South Windsor, Conn.) scored the game's set the pace for the Mariners as she scored 10 of her 16 total points in the first quarter. Mitchell ended the quarter with a 18-10 lead.
- Senior Theresa Pereira (Hopedale, Mass.) shot 5-8 behind the three-point arc collecting one in the second quarter. The Lynx outscored the Mariners 7-6 to cut the deficit seven going into the half, 24-17.
- A Pereira three-pointer cut the deficit within three points before Marissa Sweeney (Hudson, N.H.) helped extend the lead back to six when she scored three of her nine total points.
- Mitchell secured the win when Ashleigh Beauford (Newington, Conn.) and Francesca Pinard (Arlington, Mass.) teamed up to score 14 of the teams 24 fourth-quarter points compared to Lesley's 16.
- Pinard nabbed the lone's game double-double pulling down 10 rebounds and finishing with 11 points.
- Sophomore Dakota Wallace (Torrance, Calif) grabbed 11 boards while classmate Cassidy Wygnoik (Madison, Conn.) came hot off the bench scoring 11 points and brought down eight rebounds for the Lynx.
- Lesley shot 14-53 (26.4%) from the field while the Mariners shot 18-64 (28.1%) on the day.
Theresa Pereira- 20 points
Dakota Wallace- 11 rebounds
McKenna Straube- 3 assists
Hayley Garcia- 16 points
Francesca Pinard- 10 rebounds
Hayley Garcia- 5 assists
THE INSIDE SCOOP:
""This team is getting closer and closer. We're coming right around the corner and improving as a group just as conference play begins. I expect big things in the near future" says head coach Jake Mattleman.
Lesley returns to Nicholas Athletic Center on Tuesday December 5 as they host Southern Vermont College with an 8:00 p.m. start time. The Mariners host Cedar Crest on Monday November 4, 2017 with tip-off at 6:00 p.m.