Cambridge, Mass- The Lesley University Women's basketball team fell to Newbury College , 61-45 Tuesday evening at Pappas Gymnasium. The Lynx kept the game close through the first half, but a dominant third quarter for the Nighthawks ended in a twenty-two point lead and too much for Lesley to battle back. With the loss Lesley falls to 2-12 on the year and 2-4 in NECC conference play, while Newbury improves to 9-7 and 6-1 in conference.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Both teams started slow, making just five field goals in the first quarter. The Nighthawks shot 5-of-16 while the Lynx went 5-for-14 from the field. The Nighthawks held a four-point lead, 14-10, after the opening quarter.
- In the second, both teams continued to struggle to find its offensive groove, but it was the Nighthawks who eventually took charge. Depsite Newbury only shooting 5 for 20 from the field totaling 11 points, theri defensive pressure kept the Lynx to six points in the quarter for a 25-16 halftime lead. 18 of the Nighthawks 25 points in the first half came in the paint.
- Newbury founds its offensive threat opening up the second half with an 11-0 run to stretch the lead to 22 points. Lesley struggled to find any offense and only mustered 9 points in the third quarter.
- Lesley found its momentum behind Freshman Elizabeth Portante in the final ten minutes who tallied 8 points. Lesley shot 10-for-15 from the field and added a 6-0 run to cut the deficit to 14 but the Nighthawks would finish strong and hold off the Lesley threat with a 61-45 win.
- Portante led all scorers on the night with 16 points and 3 assists. Senior Theresa Pereira adding 8 points and 3 steals off the bench.
- Nighthawks senior Destiny Spears recorded her 10th double-double this season with 14 points and 10 rebounds in the victory. All five starters for Newbury ended with at least ten points.
- Newbury dominated the offensive boards earning 14 second chance points to Lesley's 4. The Lynx bench saw more action than the the Nighthawks scoring 12 points on the night, while the Newbury bench only chipped in 2 points.
Elizabeth Portante- 16 points, 3 assists,5 rebounds
Theresa Pereira- 8 points, 2 steals
Destiny Spears-14 points, 10 rebounds, 5 steals
Savannah Olsen- 12 points,8 rebounds, 3 steals
Lesley next hosts Mitchell College Sunday January 21st for another NECC conference match.