Norton, Mass.-- The Lesley Women's Basketball team dropped a non-conference match against the Wheaton Lyons in the opening game of the Cheryl Waren-Powers '95 Memorial Tournament, 75-49 on Friday evening at Emerson Gymnasium. The Lynx drop to 0-2 while the Lyons get to even at 1-1.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lyons came out the gate running, opening up with a 17-1 advantage just 3:43 into the game. The Lynx attempted to climb back throughout the opening quarter but the Lyon's offense continued to find their rhythm, scoring another 17 points to end the quarter at 34-16.
- Lesley demonstrated a much more competitive second quarter and tightened up their defense only being outscored by three points (14-11) in the second frame. Lesley trailed Wheaton 48-27 going into halftime.
- The Lynx defense forced 9 turnovers in the second half while only surrendering 6 to continue their momentum through the rest of the game. Theresa Pereira had a strong offense second half adding 11 points to the Lynx offense.
- Wheaton only led Lesley 27-22 in the second half, but the first quarter nearly doubling their lead proved to be the real difference maker for the Lyons to hold onto the victory.
- Pereira had a game high 17 points to lead Lesley in the losing effort, while Dakota Jones recorded a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds. Karyn McEvoy was the next Lynx leader with 13 points.
- Sara McLemana and Sadie Shore led Wheaton with team-high 12 points in the win. Shore also had a team high 6 rebounds. Abby Hamilton picked up 7 rebounds and had 5 steals in the winning effort.
- The Lyons shot 45% from the field and 87% from the free throw line, compared to Lesley's 26% from the field and 50% from the line.
Lesley concludes the Cheryl Warren-Powers Memorial Tournament tomorrow at 1pm against Rhode Island College.