Boston, Mass.-The Lesley Women's Soccer tem opened its 2019 campaign with a 3-0 win over Wentworth Institute of Technology at Sweeney Field on Friday afternoon. The Lynx did not concede a shot on target, while testing the Leopards goalie seven times.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynx first goal came with its first shot on target as Alexandria Torres (Dixon, Ca.) picked up a loose ball at the top of the 18-yard box. Julia Cohn (Farmington, Ct.) won a header up the field from a Wentworth goal kick to set up the chance to the forward. Torres would curl her effort into the bottom right corner for a 1-0 advantage just nine minutes into the contest.
- Lesley would strike again just before the halftime whistle to hold a 2-0 score line over the Leopards. A looping ball from Chloe Kouyoumdjian (La Canada, Ca.), bounced into the penalty box and found the head of Tayla Mayberry (Kingston, Mass.), to open her account for the season.
- Defensively the Lynx were strong, holding the Leopards to very few opportunities, not registering a shot for the first 70 minutes.
- Kouyiumdijan would grab a goal of her own with a scorching left footed long-range effort, bringing the score to 3-0. Mayberry won the ball high up the field, eventually finding Kouyiumdijan in open space.
- Later, the Leopards would be reduced to 10 student-athletes after a straight red card for violent conduct. Eventually, Lesley would leave Boston with its first win, 3-0.
- Brittley Gaan (Bellevue, Wa.), would collect her first win of season. Meanwhile, Lesley were clinical with their chances scoring three goals on seven shots on goal. Wentworth could only create only one shot during the match, missing the target.
Lesley steps back on the field Wednesday, September 4, for a non-conference clash at Wellesley College. Kick-off is set for 4 p.m.