BOSTON, MA. -- The Lesley Women's soccer team opened up their 2021 season with a victory over Wentworth Institute of Technology by a score of 4-1. The Lynx get off to a 1-0 start, while the Leopards drop to 0-1.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Leopards came out of the gates quickly, turning Lesley's first turnover into a goal in the second minute. Freshman goalkeeper Lauren Lacy saved a shot by Wentworth's Madison Wolf, but the save deflected right to Mckenzie Collins, who put it in for a Lepoards goal.
- From that point, Lacy and junior Audrey Calhoun combined to play 88 minutes of shut-out goalkeeping. Each made one save as the Lynx defense only allowed three total shots on goal.
- Wentworth held strong until the 20th minute, when the Lynx broke through to tie the game. Juliana Rossini picked up her first assist as a Lynx on a cross that senior Chloe Kouyoumdjian put into the back of the net for her first goal of the season.
- After coming out of halftime tied, it was all Lesley for the rest of the afternoon. Claire Hounslow continued where she left off in 2019, scoring her first goal of the season on a header to put the Lynx up 2-0. Junior Alex Carruth picked up the assist.
- Five minutes later, sophomore Ariana Bunch scored her first collegiate goal. Bunch delivered a clean strike to the upper left corner that got past Wentworth keeper Juliana Heaton.
- Another first came in the 72nd minute, when defender Gabby Lara took advantage of a misclear to score her first collegiate goal and put the Lynx ahead by the winning score of 4-1.
- The Lynx victory was head coach Paul Vasconcelos's 200th career win. Over his fourteen year career at Lesley, Vasconcelos has coached his teams to eight conference championships and has amassed a record of 200-54-18.
The Lynx stay on the road for a matchup with Anna Maria College tomorrow, Thursday September 2. Kickoff will be at 7 PM.