Chestnut Hill, Mass.-- The Lesley Women's Volleyball team earned two victories to sweep the Pine Manor Gators in a double header match Thursday evening at Brunelli Court. The Lynx found their groove after a tough 11 game loss streak and look to carry this momentum into the bulk of NECC Conference play. With the win, the Lynx improve to 3-11 while the Gators drop to 0-14.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
Game 1- Lesley 3, Pine Manor 0
- Lesley claimed the game one victory in three straight sets 25-8, 25-13, and 25-15. First year Maile Counts led the offense with 10 kills, 6 assists, and 4 service aces. Cassidy Wygonik chipped in 7 kills and 4 service aces, while Tallin Goldberg had a match high 12 assists.
- The Lynx dominated the opening set going on a 9-2 run to kick off the match. An attack error on the Lynx and a service ace by Pine Manor's Azsha Ray gave the Gator's two points before kills by Counts and Michelle Ginoueves,and back to back service aces by Wygonik extended the Lynx lead 15-4 and an easy 25-8 set one win.
- The Gators were able to get within 4 of Lesley early in set two, 8-4, but a 5 point run sparked by three service aces from Counts helped give the Lynx a 9 point advantage which was enough for the two win.
- The final set was a much closer battle with Pine Manor tying up the match at seven a piece, but a short 5 point run spearheaded by two service aces and a kill from Wygonik gave the Lynx enough distance to close out the match for the three set sweep.
Game 2- Lesley 3, Pine Manor 0
- The Lynx earned another three set victory in the night cap to claim the double header sweep in six straight sets. Maile Counts led Lesley again with 8 kills and 7 service aces, while Tallin Goldberg also had 7 service aces and 15 assists.
- Lesley jumped to a 14-3 lead in the opening set after 7 unanswered points off four services aces from Goldberg and never gave the Gator's a chance for the eventual 25-8 win.
- Pine Manor took their first lead of night 5-3, but Lesley snapped any hope of Gator redemption on a 7-0 run for a 5 point lead 10-5. The Lynx continued the offense surge and cruised to a 25-14 win.
- Similar to the first game, set three saw a much closer contest with the Gators getting within three points in the final stretch of the match, 20-17. Lesley held the lead for the entire set but couldn't muster up any significant runs for an extended lead in the final set. Two kills by Counts and two service aces by Ashley Keeney gave Lesley the boost they needed to close out the set on a 5-1 run for the 25-18 win.
Lesley next hosts Mitchell College on Saturday October 6th at 1pm for an NECC match up.