MEDFORD, MA. – The Lesley Lynx volleyball team pulled out a close victory at home over the Fisher College Falcons in four sets. Their third straight win brings the Lynx to an even 3-3 on the year, while the Falcons fall to 1-5.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- The Lynx cruised early in the first set, after back-to-back aces by Cassidy Wygonik brought them out to an 11-5 lead. The Falcons went on a run to close the gap, but the Lynx were able to hold on to win 25-19.
- It was an incredibly even second set, until an eight point run by Fisher forced the Lynx to take two timeouts. Katherine Rodriguez had three aces and a kill during the Falcons' run.
- Lesley managed to correct their errors and go on three separate four point streaks to close the gap and tie the set at 24. It went back and forth until the Falcons were able to put enough pressure on to take a 30-28 win.
- The Falcons again took a quick lead in set three, going up 4-1 on the strength of Rodriguez's serving.
- When Wygonik got back to serving in the third set, the Lynx were able to go on a massive seven point run, which included four straight kills by Elise Morgan. An 11-6 Lynx lead forced Fisher to take a timeout.
- The Lynx were just able to hold off the Falcons by a score of 25-23 to take a 2 set to 1 lead.
- Set four was a game of runs, as Lia Aime led a six point run for Fisher early and Amy Dai and Mary Scharfer partnered to serve a five point Lesley run to tie the game at 7 apiece.
- Wygonik led a later run of her own, regaining the serve for the Lynx on a kill and then sevring the next five points for the Lynx.
- Rodriguez brought the Falcons back to pull ahead, but Scharfer and Wygonik closed out the match, with the Lynx winning the set 26-24 and the match 3-1.
- The Lynx were led by impressive showings by Morgan and Wygonik, who had 18 and 16 kills respectively, while Allison Napoleon's 28 assists were a team high.
The Lynx play host to Dean College on Saturday September 21st at 12 PM for the second of three straight home games.